The transmission is an important component of a car’s drivetrain system that transfers the torque from the power unit (e.g., the engine) to the wheels, enabling the vehicle to move. It serves as the link between the engine and the wheels and is responsible for regulating gear shifting and gear ratios, allowing the driver to control speed and power transmitted to the wheels.
The transmission is a complex system consisting of several essential components and mechanisms. Depending on the type of drivetrain (front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, or all-wheel drive), the transmission may vary, but virtually every transmission consists of:
- Clutch: The clutch’s function is to provide a connection between the engine and the gearbox. It disengages and engages the engine with the gearbox, allowing gear shifting and control of the vehicle’s motion.
- Gearbox: The gearbox is a mechanism that allows for speed and gear ratio changes between the engine and the wheels. There are two types of gearboxes: manual and automatic.
- Driveshaft (excluding front-wheel drive vehicles): The driveshaft connects the gearbox to the drive axle, transmitting torque to the rear wheels.
- Final drive: The final drive is responsible for the gear ratio between the gearbox and the drive axle, efficiently transmitting power to the wheels.
- Drive shafts (half shafts): Drive shafts transfer power from the gearbox to the wheels, enabling vehicle movement.
- Differential (only for all-wheel drive vehicles): The differential is a component that distributes power between all the wheels, allowing an all-wheel drive vehicle to move efficiently on different surfaces.
Common transmission problems include:
- Transmission fluid leakage: This can be caused by defective transmission seals or housing. Leakage can lead to a lack of fluid, which in turn can damage transmission components and cause malfunctions.
- Gearbox issues: These may include more complex problems such as improper gear operation, difficulties in gear shifting, or gear jamming. Such issues can be related to damaged transmission synchronizers or clutch components.
- Clutch problems: Clutch issues can involve improper clutch operation, slipping, or other malfunctions. This can be due to clutch wear, weakened performance, or cable damage.
- Transmission noises: Unusual noises emanating from the transmission are often heard, which can be related to a damaged bearing, defective transmission supports, or other mechanical faults.
- Transmission overheating: Transmission overheating can occur due to insufficient oil cooling or improper cooling system operation. This can result in transmission malfunctions or even severe damage.
- Electronics issues: Modern automatic transmissions also include electronic components, and problems with these components can cause transmission malfunctions. This can be related to sensor damage, electrical connection issues, or control unit defects.
These problems can arise from various causes, such as lack of regular maintenance, the use of low-quality oil, improper operation, or aging. Therefore, it is important to regularly service the transmission, change the oil in a timely manner, and consult professional mechanics in case of any transmission malfunctions.
Transmission repair is a complex process as the transmission is a comprehensive system consisting of several important components. To determine whether your transmission is damaged and in need of repair, a diagnostic process is required. During the diagnostic process, a thorough inspection is conducted to identify any problems and determine which parts need repair or replacement.
Repair work can involve various operations such as repairing or replacing damaged or worn-out parts. This may include repairing or replacing the clutch, gearbox, automatic transmission, or other transmission components.
Our range of services includes:
- Restoration, diagnostics, maintenance, replacement, and repair of gearboxes.
- Transmission repair.
- Automatic transmission repair.
- Manual gearbox repair.
- Transmission oil change.
- Replacement, repair, restoration, and adjustment of the clutch.
- Replacement of the master clutch cylinder.
- Replacement of the clutch cable.
- Replacement of the release bearing.
- Replacement/cleaning of the airflow sensor.
- Replacement of the brake booster hydraulic accumulator.
- Replacement of the valve block.
- Replacement of the constant velocity joint.
- Replacement of the crankshaft seal and actuator assembly.
- Replacement of the automatic transmission filter.
- Replacement of the CV joint.
We recommend entrusting the inspection and repair of your transmission to our auto service, as we work with specialized equipment and tools. Only professional staff with extensive experience work with us. Repair work is carried out by highly qualified specialists using quality spare parts. Additionally, if needed, you can find original parts for manual and automatic transmissions in our online store at www.evrotrans.lv/.
We guarantee the quality of our work at an affordable price.